What is a PCT? Do I need to be a certified PCT to work in a hospital?
A PCT has achieved Nurse Aide, Phlebotomy, some EKG interpretation skills, and additional hospital skills training (PCT seminar). As a PCT, you will be able to perform the following skills in a clinic or hospital setting:
- Set up and apply SCD's
- familiarity with hospital equipment
- understand vital signs parameters among all age groups
- perform height, weight, length, and body measurements of infants
- demonstrate infant intake and output
- apply dynamic situations among the pediatric population
- infant feeding
- practice first aid splinting, bandaging
- perform lab collections: blood glucose, POCT testing- flu, strep, UA
- demonstrate basic wound care, wound scrubbing, and drain output
- assisting with procedures such as pelvic exam, insertion of Foley catheters, & IV's
- achieve correct lead placement of a 12-lead EKG
- apply 5-lead telemetry
- EKG interpretation (the basics)
- understand your role in 24 hour Holter monitoring and stress testing
- set up various oxygen devices
- implement safe practices of one-to-one patient care (suicide watch, or sitter role)
- define your role in facility emergencies (Code Blue, Code Pink, & natural disasters)
- practice live scenerios
THIS CLASS PREPARES YOU TO WORK WELL WITHIN A HOSPITAL OR CLINIC SETTING.
Certified Patient Care Technician: you must complete a Nurse Aide training course, phlebotomy training, CPR, and complete the PCT seminar to be eligible for the national certification exam through National Healthcareer Association.
* For CNA's who would like to take the PCT seminar without taking phlebotomy, you will not be eligible to take the certification exam.
Week 1 Feb 25, 26, 27 (Tues, Wed, Thurs) 9am-5:30pm
Week 2 March 3, 4, 5 (Tues, Wed, Thurs) 9am-5:30pm
Next class: Feb 25-March 5 Aug 18-27
April 21-30 Oct 13-24
June 16-25 Dec 8-17
Cost is $450
Nurse aides learn basic patient care. The skills mentioned above are not included in the Texas Nurse Aide curriculum. Although CNA's can hire within hospitals without this additional training, the phlebotomy and PCT seminars are highly recommended to prepare you for the skills and knowledge to be successful, confident, and marketable!